My most recent read.

The Shadow Speaker The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
I thoroughly enjoyed this highly imaginative coming of age tale about Ejimafor Ugabe, Dikéogu, and five seperate worlds. This story had a wonderful 'feel' to it that makes me want to recommend it to almost everyone.

View all my reviews.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Pearl - John Steinbeck

I love Steinbeck's writing style. He is one of the most powerful and addicting writers that I have read. The Pearl is a short tale about, what else, human nature.

A young family is raised in a private culture which is dominated by 'civilized' people. They have accepted their role in life, when along comes an object that could change their position in life. It changes much more then that. The development in the main character, Kino, throughout the hundred plus pages is believable and understandable. Who of us hasn't thought of a better life? A 'what if' moment if you may?

Us humans, no matter which culture, religion, or upbringing are only a thought a way from total destruction.

I thoroughly enjoyed this basic tale and felt like weeping at the end.

"The shawl was crusted with dried blood, and the bundle swayed a little as she walked. Her [Jauna] face was hard and lined and leathery with fatigue. And her wide eyes stared inward on herself. She was as remote and as removed as heaven." pg 115